Here, we explain the Plant Export Inspection procedure when taking purchased fruits out of the country in carry-on luggage.
What is the Plant Export Inspection?
When exporting plants, fruits and vegetables, an inspection is conducted at the point of export to prevent pests from entering other countries. After the inspection, you may be told to take measures such as disinfecting the fruit.
When taking fruits or vegetables overseas from Japan as souvenirs, an inspection must be conducted to check whether the fruits comply with the plant and produce quarantine conditions of the destination country.
Procedure for the Plant Export Inspection
Submit an ""Application Form of Export Inspection for Plant and Plant Products"" at the airport's Plant Quarantine Counter.
If the product passes the inspection and an approval certificate is issued, the product may then be taken to the destination country.
Since the inspection generally takes 30 to 40 minutes, please arrive at the airport early and begin the process.
Fill in the application form for export inspection
Plant quarantine certificate is issued
Check-in, customs, immigration, boarding
Airport Plant Quarantine Counter
Narita Airport No. 1
Passenger Terminal No. 1, 4th Floor North Wing Departures Gate
Narita Airport No. 2
Passenger Terminal No. 2, 1st Floor A-Zone
International Passenger Terminal, 3rd Floor
Near Check-In Counter L
Terminal No. 1 North Building, 4th Floor Near the North Departures Gate
International Terminal Building, 3rd Floor South Side
Across from Check-In Counter M
New Chitose Airport
International Terminal Building, 3rd Floor
Application Form of Export Inspection for Plant and Plant Products
Follow the instructions and fill out the A4-size form, then submit it to the Plant Quarantine Counter.
”KIRAKIRA ZIPANGU” provide the required plant quarantine document as a service.
Instructions (For passengers with carry-on luggage; some parts of the form are filled out differently for passengers sending items separately or carrying items in checked luggage.)
- Write the name and address of the applicant.
- Write the date of application.
- Write “Hand Baggage”.
- Write “N/A”.
- Write the date of departure from Japan.
- Write the name of the airport of departure.
- Write the name of the airport of arrival in English.
- Write the name of the destination country in English.
- Write the name and address of the person carrying the fruits in English.
- Write the name and address of the person receiving the fruits in English.
- Write the type of fruits in English.
- Write the name of the fruits in binomial nomenclature, for example:
Melon: Cucumis melo
Apple:Malus pumila var. domestica
Japanese pear: Pyrus serotina var. culta
Cherrie: Prunus avium
- Write the quantity of fruit packages.
- Write the quantity and units of fruits.
- Write the name of the prefecture where the fruit was grown.